Thursday, April 23

Unit 8. Issues

- Vocabulary: a better future (p. 104)
Useful expressions: it does more harm than good; it's a waste of space; it's overrated; it's been disastrous for humanity; it's underrated; it's indispensable; it's been a force for good; it's a lifesaver.

- Grammar: Reporting verbs (p. 105)
Check summary & worksheet (very useful!)
Activities: ex. 6, p. 105 / Worksheet

- Grammar: Fronting (p. 111)
. Object, verb or adverb are moved to the front of the sentence in order to emphasise what we want to say or to make our point clear.
. Examples:
What I wanted to tell you is that I am going to move to another place.
Why you said that, I can't understand.
Tired as I felt, I did all my homework.
Intelligent though she may seem, she has failed all her exams.
. Fronting phrases:
the trouble is...; the question is...; the fact of the matter is...; the fact remains...

- Vocabulary: cause & effect (p. 112)
Useful expressions: a major source, a cause of, to have its origins in, to have far-reaching implications, to have its roots in, to stem from