Friday, March 13

Letters of Complaint / Letters of Application

Letters of complaint
. Structure
- Introduction: state reasons for writing
- Main body: State complaint with justification / Suggest what should be done
- Conclusion: closing remarks

. Examples:
- Mild complaint:
I am writing to complain about a factual error in yesterday’s newspaper.
I hope that you will give this matter your prompt attention.
- Strong complaint:
I am writing to express my strong disapproval concerning the offensive behaviour of an employee at your company’s Winchester Road branch.
I demand a full, written apology or I will be forced to take legal action.

. Useful Language:
- To begin letters:
I am writing to complain about/ draw your attention to (the problem of)…
I am writing to express my disappointment / dissatisfaction with…
I am writing to express my annoyance / extreme dissatisfaction with / protest about
I regret to / feel I must inform you how appalled / shocked I was…
- To end letters:
I hope this matter will be dealt with / resolved as soon as possible.
I trust this matter will receive immediate attention.
I hope this matter will not be treated lightly.
I feel that you should … / I am entitled to compensation / a refund / a replacement.


Letters of application
. Structure
- Introduction: state reasons for writing
- Main body: education & qualifications; previous experience; personal qualitites; suitability
- Conclusion: closing remarks

. Useful language
- To begin letters:
I am writing to apply for the post/position of…advertised in yesterday’s…
I am writing in connection
with/with regard to the vacancy in your Sales Department as advertised in…
- To end letters:
I enclose / Please find enclosed my CV / references from…
I would appreciate a reply at your earliest convenience/as soon as possible.
I would be available for an interview at any time…
Please contact me should you have any further questions/queries


- Experience / Qualifications:
I am currently/ At present I am employed / working as…
During this time, I held the position of…/ was responsible for…/my duties included
I have received training in…/ completed an apprenticeship…
My qualifications include…/ I am presently studying/attending a course…
I am due to take my final examination in June….
I have/hold/obtained/was awarded a degree/certificate in…
I have successfully complete a course… at (place)