Thursday, March 5

Unit 4. Progress (continuation)

- Grammar: Inversion (p.55)
. It is used to... emphasise the adverbial phrase in a sentence/ add variety to a text/ mainly in formal contexts.
. It is set at the start of a sentence followed by auxiliary verb + subject + infinitive:
He arrived and we left immediately – No sooner did he arrive than we left.
. Used with:
1. Negative adverbials - sentences with 'no' / 'not'
Not only does he play the guitar, but also the violin.
Not once has the child cried while being in the park.
Not until I go home did I notice that I had the wrong umbrella.

On no condition are they to open fire without a warning.
Under no circumstances is he leaving the children alone.
No way am I going to sing in public (informal speech). / In no way am I going to sind in public.
2. Time expressions: never, rarely, seldom
Never has he told me to go round his house.
Rarely has a minister been faced with such a problem.
Seldom has the team given a worse performance.

3. Time expressions: hardly, scarcely, no sooner
Hardly had the train left the station, when there was an explosion.
Scarcely had I entered the room when the phone rang.
No sooner had I reached the door than I realised it was locked.
4. Only after, only when, only then
Only after posting the letter did I remember that I had forgotten to put on a stamp.
5. Little

Little does the government appreciate what the results will be.
6. So / Such
So devastating were the floods that some areas may never recover.
Such was the force of the storm that the trees were uprooted.

- Activities to practice inversion:
. worksheet (to be finished on Monday)
. oral practice in pairs
. activity 8, p. 55

- Listening: taking notes "Gifted children" (p. 56)