Friday, March 13

Unit 5. Fortunes (continuation)

- Grammar: Conditional review
. Mixed conditional: If + past perfect + would/could/may/might/should
To express a hypothetical present result in a past action
If we hadn’t answered the phone, we wouldn’t be here now.

. Instead of if, we can use
a) Happen to / Should happen to can be used with First Conditional sentences to emphasise that something is unlikely to occur.
b) Provided that / as long as to show that specific conditions should be met for something to happen.
c) Supposing to emphasise the imaginary, in informal speech.
d) If it hadn’t been for to express how a negative result would have occurred without a certain person or event happening.
e) If you will / would can be used as a polite form.
d) Should you is used in formal business communication.

. I wish / If only: to express hope and regret respectively
a) To talk about the present: I wish / If only + past simple
I wish I passed the exam with a good mark.
b) To talk about the past: I wish / If only + past perfect
If only I had studied harder.

- Listening: “Starting up a business” (p. 64)